Most Recent Posts

Judith Audu Reveals Secret Behind ‘Just Not Married’


Judith Audu is an actress, television presenter, model, blogger, and movie producer. In this interview, the award-winning producer of the movie ‘Just Not Married ’ recalls how acting on stage prepared her for the screen, filmmaking among other issues. Adekitan Boye reports

How has it been so far in the industry?

It’s been a very interesting, challenging and amazing journey. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. My acting journey started on stage from acting out our French literature books at French School to joining ‘Theatre 15’ when I got into the University of Lagos, which was where I learnt all the rudiments of acting, it was from there I moved to the screen.

Who influenced you into acting and producing?

While growing up I used to admire the Broadcasters on TV, I wanted to be like them, they spoke and looked really good, so I started training myself on how I wanted to sound but didn’t know how to become one and didn’t think I could because I was shy but when I started modeling, I became bold enough to be able to be in front of the camera and when I made up my mind I went all in.

For producing, my love for handing a project from start to finish, to want to bring a script to life and do things right made me hungry to produce, and when the opportunity came I grabbed it and it gave birth to the movie ‘Just Not Married’, and we are so thankful to God at how it came out, the reviews, accolades, awards and recognition have been so humbling, we are challenged to do even more.

What is the secret?
We took our time to do preproduction which ensured a smooth shoot, out entire team, the cast and crew were gotten because they were perfect for the job not because they are friends, everyone came very prepared with their A-Game and made it all work out, God was awesome to us as we had no obstacles.

So it really isn’t a secret we just did things the right way, we had a very original, creative Simple story told very well, we took our time to critic and make corrections where necessary and we took a major risk by staring new names and faces which Ended up proving it’s all about the story you are telling at the end of the day, then are the actors good? Yes they were! God’s grace in our life has also proven to be awesome.

How have you been coping with stardom, given the challenges it naturally brings?

I don’t see myself as a star, I am still the simple, easy going person that I am, I am one of those people that believe Stardom doesn’t make you a different person it only amplifies the real you.

How would you describe yourself?

I am a very focused person; I always challenge myself to do more. I am highly disciplined, dedicated to whatever I set out to do, and always determined to see every project I start to the end.

What is your advice to young and upcoming artistes and producers?

They should understand it’s not an easy industry as people outside think, so they must only come when they are certain that this is what they truly want to do. It’s a full time job not a side hobby.

They should discipline themselves to be humble and have the skills of listening and learning on the job; they should always be focused, believe in themselves, read, read, read books about what they are doing; train themselves if they can afford to go to a school or watch videos online.

In all they should make sure they are here because they have passion for it else they will get frustrated. Passion is the fuel that keeps us chasing after our dreams in this industry, but one thing is sure: hardwork, consistency and dedication always pays off.

What were your experiences at BON Awards, and what does winning this award mean to you?

It was a very overwhelming experience at the BON Awards 2016. Our movie ‘Just Not Married’ got nine nominations and we won two, for Most Promising Actor and Best Actress. Winning the Award for Best Actress was very humbling, it’s the second am wining in 2016. I also won for same movie at the Abuja International Film Festival 2016.

It’s been a fantastic year! Wining has challenged me to become better than I was yesterday. It proved the old saying that hard work pays, when you keep pushing, doing what you do, one day someone will take notice and then more people will and it then keeps getting better.

It has motivated me to do even more, take on bigger challenges, continue pushing, not get distracted and lose focus as the responsibility just became even bigger. I am grateful for every recognition they make me realise am doing something right, people are watching, lives are been touched so I have no excuse not to do more and become

No comments