Most Recent Posts

Pastor Faith Oyedepo: What About Divorce?

Pastor Faith Oyedepo
Author: Pastor Faith Oyedepo
Topic: What About Divorce?

Dear Reader,

I count it a great privilege to bring God’s Word your way, which will bring answers to your questions in Jesus’ name. This month, the question is What About Divorce? Does God approve of it?
Why is it that two people who were so in love, who could barely do without each other, suddenly grow cold and grow apart? With the same mouth with which they exchanged endearments, they fire abuses at one another. What is it that is pressurizing you to divorce? Is it childlessness between you as a couple?

No matter how modern man excuses divorce, it is not of God. The union of a man and woman in holy wedlock is sacred and for a lifetime. The Pharisees asked Jesus: Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause? And he answered…Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so…what therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder (Matthew 19:4,8 & 6).

From the beginning, God’s intention was not to see the man and his wife divorced (Matthew 19:4,6,8). He put into both the ability to accommodate and support each other, as well as the ability to compliment. This is why trying to run marriage without God has brought uncontrollable conflicts within homes. When you acknowledge God, giving His Word pre-eminence and allowing it to guide you, the mention of the word ‘divorce’ will be strange in your ears. You may scoff and say, “She doesn’t know how bad things are between us.” But I say,” Let God be true and all men [their sayings or the circumstances in which they are in] be liars.” (Romans 3:4). Your situation will respond to the Word of God, if you will apply your heart to it.

Jesus told a parable someday about a householder, who sowed good seeds in his field, but awoke to find tares growing alongside. When asked how this was possible, considering that he had only sown good seeds, the householder replied: An enemy hath done this… (Matthew 13:28).

A sweet marriage is like the good seed sown by the householder. But when couples are asleep in the spirit, the enemy creeps in and sows seeds of discord, disunity, hatred and bitterness. The enemy magnifies every small issue, and the man and woman focus on those little foxes until the problem is out of control. If you are not yet divorced, but are at the verge of it, stop and do a re-think just as you can see in this testimony:

“I have been married for the past 10 years, and have not enjoyed peace in the home ever since. For me, marriage wasn’t a good institution. Things were just upside down. I had a child in 1993 that died. Apart from that, I had series of miscarriages. I had a car, but it is no more. It was as if everything came to a halt.

My husband started coming to Living Faith Church. He didn’t ask me to come with him, because I was already attending another Pentecostal church, though there was no peace in my home. The situation grew worse and the tension became so high that I asked the Lord what I would do. I told my husband, ‘If this is what marriage is all about, let us call it quits.’ He replied, ‘The door is wide open, you can go.’ It was then I sat down and did a rethink.

I came to Living Faith Church and heard Bishop David Oyedepo say, ‘I have been married for many years now and there has not been any concern or problem in my home.’ I said to myself, ‘Is this on this earth or in another planet?’ But somehow, God has done it for me! Now I know I had been the problem, not my husband. My husband is a “perfect” gentleman. The Bishop’s wife sometimes jokingly says that if there was such thing as another life, she would still choose to marry her husband. I too can joyfully say the same thing today.”- Neburabo, R.

No matter where you have missed it in your marriage, refuse to resort to divorce or separation. It is a thief of honour in marriage and family life. God’s Word says: And unto the married I command, yet not I but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband (I Corinthians 7:10).
God can give you the ability to accommodate and support your spouse, as well as the ability to compliment. This ability can only be given by God. This is done by confessing your sins and accepting Jesus as your Saviour and Lord. If you are ready for this new birth experience, please say this prayer:

Dear Lord, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me of my sins. Cleanse me with Your precious Blood. I accept You as my Lord and Savious. Now I know I am born again!
Congratulations!

You are now born again! All-round rest and peace are guaranteed you, in Jesus’ Name. Call or write, and share your testimonies with me through contact@faithoyedepo.org, and conselling@faithoyedepo.org; OR 07026385437 and 08141320204.
For more insight, these books authored by me are available at the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading Christian bookstores:

Marriage Covenant,
Making Marriage Work,
Building A Successful Home and Success in Marriage (Co-Authored).

No comments