Most Recent Posts

Teen Raises Over $10k After Saying Parents Cut Her Off For Dating A Black Man


A Tennessee teenager has raised thousands of dollars after saying her parents cut off her college funds for dating a black student.

Allie Dowdle, from outside Memphis, has received more than $10,000 on GoFundMe after saying that her mother and father rejected her boyfriend Michael “strictly because of his race.”


According to the NY Daily, the 18-year-old private school student said that she and her boyfriend have seen each other discreetly against her parents' wishes but, over Christmas, her parents decided “to no longer support my future” when her boyfriend approached them again.She writes on her GoFundMe page :

"About a year ago, I told my parents that I'd started dating a boy named Michael, pictured with me above.
"Hoping to share him with my family, I showed my parents his picture, and the conversation was over before it even began.My dad did not give me an option: he told me that I was not allowed to see Michael ever again.
"Why? Strictly because of skin color. It wasn't a quiet 'no' either. I'll never forget the yelling my parents did, when they expressed how disappointed they were in me, that I could do so much better.""How could my love for another person be wrong because of his skin colour?
"And why would that make me unworthy of a future I've worked so hard for?
"Because my parents have listed me, their own daughter, as someone who is not worthy of their time and money, I have turned to the public for support."


But some, commenting on her GoFundMe page, hit out at her appeal for money.

Susan Martin wrote: "

Dating a black man and sending a privileged white girl to college who can't get a job because her parents took away her car is absolutely ridiculous. Take a bus."
The 18-year-old's dad has denied that the issue is about race.

Bill Dowdle insists he and his wife will accept any young man that their daughter chooses to date, and only cut her off because she started dating Michael in secret.The elder Dowdle said

"it was never about race," that he is not a racist and that his daughter’s statements about race are “a justification and gave her the moral high ground.”


He said that he and his wife would accept whomever their daughter wanted to date, but that he disapproved of both Michael and a previous boyfriend in part because Allie had started seeing them in secret.

The father said that he decided to cut off her college money because she has been spoiled and “it became obvious that she needed to go out in the world and grow up.”Her father says that he still loves his daughter, and that he and his wife are focused on helping her graduate.

No comments